| GRS Soweto Staff enjoying the great outdoors |
With GRS’s fiscal year coming to a close however, the site has been given an opportunity to, in many ways, start fresh. This week, we promoted 3 coaches to the role of Community Program Coordinator (CPC) to accompany our sitting CPC, George. We sat down and worked out a plan where each of the four CPC will have a team of about 12 coaches that they are in charge of. AJ and I, being the program interns, are now each responsible for assisting 2 CPCs and helping to run their teams. All teams report their registration, testing, and survey information to Tizzy, the M&E intern, so that she can compile all of the information that tells us whether or not or interventions are actually being effective. This system is good both because it allows for CPCs to focus on a small number of coaches and make sure that they are doing their jobs, and secondly it creates a system of accountability. From now on, if your team isn’t pulling their weight, we’ll now.
| Chillin out before the game |
In the midst of putting together and planning calendars, creating workplans, and defining roles, Greg, our Site Coordinator, arranged for us to have some time together as a staff outside of the office. So on Wednesday, we went on a hike through a nature reserve about 45 minutes outside of Soweto. It was a fun day where we did a series of team-building activities, saw some pretty cool animals, and I even got pooped on by some wild vulture-like bird (somebody told me that’s supposed to be good luck – I hope so).
On Saturday, me, AJ, and some of the GRS
coaches who we play five-a-side with on
| Ready to ball |
Tuesday’s, played in a tournament down in Southgate. It was “wafa wafa” which I think means “knockout” in Zulu. So one loss and your out. Also, there was prize money of R2,500 (»$360) for the winner, so everybody what taking it pretty seriously. Our team, playing with style, skill, passion, flair, elegance, and any other sexy adjective you can use to describe soccer, made it all the way through to the finals. Unfortunately we lost 6-4 in what is probably one of the most intense soccer games I’ve ever been a part of, at any level. We were proud of having made it so far, but obviously disappointed not to have won. For me however, it was great getting to hang with the guys pretty much all day outside the context of work. You definitely get to know people on another level when you’re just hanging out as opposed to working with them.
| Lindiwe, Tizzy, Nosipho, and Sonzo |
After dropping all the guys off at home, AJ and I headed back home where Tizzy was having a brai (South African word for barbeque) for all the female coaches. While it was supposed to be an all woman’s affair, Tizzy texted us and said there was a lot of extra food. Needless to say, we headed straight home. Although we weren’t initially supposed to be there, the girls welcomed us to the party and it ended up being a great time. Again, spending time with the coaches outside of work really gave us the opportunity to let loose, have fun, and spend time with another outside the context of work (I guess that ended up being the theme of the day).
| Teaching them the cupid shuffle |
On Wednesday Tizzy, AJ, and I are headed to Cape Town for a mini-vacation where we’re going to go to a concert called Rocking the Daisies with a bunch of the other interns. It’s supposed to be epic. Look for a post about that in a week or so.
Also, thanks again to everyone who has donated. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate. I’m still accepting donations. If your interested in contributing please feel free to make a donation on the right side of this page. Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment