Monday, February 7, 2011

Alphas in Joburg


When I entered college, I never really envisioned myself joining a fraternity. Not that I had anything against them, I just didn’t think it was something that fit my personality. Even amid the fact that most of the men in my family were members of Omego Psi Phi, and almost all the guys on my soccer team were members of Kappa Sigma, I didn’t think it was something I was that interested in.

That changed however, when I met the Alphas at Davidson. I was immediately impressed with all the guys and how it seemed like a group of motivated young black men who shared my values, stood up for what they believed in, dedicated themselves to service, and were just overall really about their business. For me, the opportunity to surround myself with a group of guys like that outweighed any apprehensions I initially had about joining a fraternity.

Phortue501A - My boys for life
Being a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity has had an immeasurably positive affect on my life since I joined my freshman year of college. It’s how I’ve met some of my best friends, been involved in some great service initiatives, and have also enjoyed my fair share of parties with the guys. But my appreciation for Alpha and what role it has played in my life has been reinforced over the past few weeks during my time with the Rho Phi Lambda Chapter of Alpha here in Johannesburg, South Africa.

I had heard rumors that there was an Alpha Chapter in Joburg before I came, but for some reason brushed it off as some sort of random fabrication. “Alphas in Africa? That’s just silly.” How wrong I was. So a few weeks ago, I found information about the chapter online, reached out to the guys, and was immediately and without hesitation brought into the family of Alphas living here in Joburg.

Joburg chapter being introduced at the National Convention last year
Through the guys I’ve been introduced to an assortment of really interesting people I never would have met before, and aspects of life in Joburg that I had no idea about before. And as much as I love the beautiful game, it also doesn't hurt that AJ and I now have a group of people to play basketball with on weekends.

Additionally, (I feel a bit spoiled by my timing) because last week the Alphas of Johannesburg hosted the National President of the fraternity, Skip Mason, and the entire board of elected officials within the fraternity. The guys from the US came across the Atlantic to officially charter the second chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha on the continent (there was already a chapter in Monrovia, Liberia).  To mark the occasion, amongst a series of other events, there was a dinner that was attended by nearly 200 people, of which the proceeds went to the African Leadership Academy and the Teboho Trust. Both great organizations doing amazing work.

The night was a lot of fun and reminded me of the reasons I joined Alpha in the first place. Good guys, worthy causes, and a good time. I’m excited that Alpha, which also has now has chapters in Europe, is extending its reach throughout the world, and I’m excited to be a part of it.

Sidenote - shout out to my boys at the Tau Omicron Chapter of APhiA for winning 1st place in the Davidson College Stepshow...no big deal

No comments:

Post a Comment