The last two weeks have been hectic to say the least, a whirlwind in the best kind of way. On August 4th, I made my way up to Hanover, New Hampshire for a 4-day orientation with the other Grassroot Soccer interns. During the training we did a series of team-building exercises that included a hike, doing activities from the HIV awareness based ‘Skillz’ curriculum that we use for the kids in Africa, and guided one on one sessions with each intern where we were able to connect with one another on a deeper level. Additionally, we were given a crash course in all things GRS and HIV/AIDS. While I considered myself fairly well-versed on the disease, my knowledge of its intricacies has undoubtedly increased at least 300%.
![]() |
| Interns at the orientation cabin |
The only complaint I have from my time in Hanover is that it didn’t last longer. The other interns are amazing people. It’s an incredible feeling to be surrounded by so many other young, passionate, and excited people who share the same core values and are determined to leave their mark on the world. After staying up all night around a bonfire that made it feel like we were leaving summer camp, we all said our goodbyes and promised to visit each other at our various site throughout Southern Africa.
| Big Ben |
Then there was the 11-hour flight to Johannesburg, which surprisingly wasn’t too bad. I think I watched four movies back to back so I wasn’t really paying attention to the time anyway. Mmm…nothin’ like some good airplane movies.
Now you may be thinking to yourself, “an 11-hour flight Clint?!? Why didn’t you just sleep?” Well, a few years ago I had a really bad snoring problem. Anytime I would fall asleep in an upright position, like on a plane or a bus, I would start snoring like a big, drunken, allergy-infected grizzly bear. Flight attendants would have to come and wake me up because I was disturbing other passengers. It was pretty bad. So I trained myself not to fall asleep on planes. Anyway, sorry for that tangent…
At the airport, we were picked up by Karti, a guy who was ending his yearlong cycle as an intern. Unfortunately, we only had two days before he was scheduled to fly back to the United States, but I’m thankful we had him around at all because we would have been screwed if we didn’t.
| Me, Tizzy, and Karti |
For the moment, we’re living in a small garden cottage behind someone’s house in an area of Johannesburg called Melville. It’s essentially like a small studio. Like a small poolhouse, just without the pool. We’re staying here until the end of the month, then when AJ arrives, we’ll be moving into a house a few minutes down the road. For my New Orleans people out there, living in Melville but working in Soweto feels kind of like living Uptown but working in the 9th ward. It definitely provides an interesting juxtaposition.
![]() |
| Where we work |
Lastly, on only our second day, Tizzy and I were hooked up with tickets to the South Africa vs. Ghana friendly. Traffic was absolutely terrible – and there’s nothing worse than stop and go traffic when you’re just learning to drive a stick shift – but when we finally arrived at the stadium, we were treated to a festive atmosphere and a first hand experience in how loud vuvuzelas actually are. Soccer City is DOPE!!!
A great stadium that somehow manages to be huge while still maintaining an intimate feel to it. Considering that it was a post-world cup friendly, I didn’t expect a big crowd. But I’d say at least 75% of the stadium was full, and those who were there were treated to a 1-0 Bofanna Bofanna win (Bofanna Bofanna is the name of the South African team, literally translated as “The Boys The Boys”). Only wish I could have been here for the World Cup.
| Soccer City |
I could go on and on about the things I’ve experienced thus far, but I realize that super long post can get boring so I’ll save the other stuff for another day. I’ve got all year after all.


Glad you got there safe bruh. Be blessed over there!
ReplyDelete