"Clint, this is just dumb." That's what I was thing to myself the entire car ride over to the Orlando towers in Soweto.
 |
| The Orlando Towers |
One of the things on many people’s bucket list is bungee jumping. And for one reason or another, that wish rarely ends up getting fulfilled. Now let me clarify, bungee jumping has never been on my bucket list. The notion of jumping off of a bridge, building, cliff, tower or anything else with nothing but an elastic cord preventing me from plummeting to the ground seemed silly. It was something I thought only my crazy white friends would do (sorry crazy white friends, you know I love you).
 |
| This one speaks for itself |
But I don’t know what it was that happened – whether it’s the fact I’m in Africa, that two of my best friends wanted to do it with me, that we had thrill-seeking guest in town, or that my crazy white friends have rubbed off on me – but Saturday, I climbed to the top of the Orlando towers, strapped an elastic cord to my feet, and jumped off a building 35 stories tall.
 |
| At this point I was pretty sure I was going to die |
I probably used the bathroom 5 times in 10 minutes before we jumped because I was pretty sure that I was going to pee my pants. Remember that childhood fear of heights I mentioned in a previous post? Well it was taking over at this point, but I had to follow through. I had already paid, had already watched Jeevs jump, and we had all already started practicing the bungee jump story as our new pick up line. So I stepped to the edge of the platform, kissed my cross, closed my eyes, and jumped.
 |
| Most unreal feeling ever |
“Ridiculous!”
That’s the only word that can describe the feeling of free falling to the ground before the elastic cord catches you and recoils you up from imminent death. It was awesome.
 |
| That's one more check on the bucket list |
No comments:
Post a Comment