Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Graduation Day!!!

This post is a few weeks late but things have been pretty hectic over here in Soweto lately and I figure its better late than never.

At the end of each 9 week long Skillz intervention, the coaches hold a graduation event for all of the kids. Coaches decorate the room, principals and teachers make speeches, a plethora of pictures are taken, and the kids make presentations full of singing, dancing, drama, and poetry. It's an awesome, festive atmosphere and gives the kids an opportunity to convey how much this program has really meant to them. I'm not going to lie, during some of the poems the kids were performing, I was feeling pretty choked up. No poetry slam I've been to has anything on this.

As much as Grassroot Soccer prides itself on having in-depth, proven quantitative data to support the fact that our programs are effective, it was really special for me to experience the more qualitative side of things, the kind of results you can't necessarily put into a Microsoft excel spreadsheet.

Here are some pictures from the event:











No comments:

Post a Comment